[vtkusers] Building vtk on Mac OS X - wrapping apps

Yves Starreveld ystarrev at uwo.ca
Thu Jul 11 20:17:13 EDT 2002

Hi, Surajit,

On OSX, if you want an app to be recognized by the window manager as an
event-recipient, the binary must be ensconced in an 'app wrapper'

This is a collection of directories, top level ends in .app.
Subdirectory Contents contains an Info.plist file and a MacOS directory.
The MacOS directory contains the binary executable.

The easiest way to get this going is to get an example application from
Apples' sample software, download it,  copy the .app directory, and
replace its binary with your Mace binary for example. Then, when you
execute the Mace binary, the app will launch, appear in the dock, and
the window manager will properly send it events.

This needs to be integrated into the vtk build process, but since only
the interactive apps need it, and the tests run fine without, it hasn't
happened as yet.

Yves