[vtkusers] help with parallel stuff

David Jackson djackson at scs.carleton.ca
Sat Jul 6 18:27:05 EDT 2002

Hi I'm having trouble getting the parallel VTK examples to work.  I
tried using both the SRPM: vtk-4.1.1-1.cvs20020705.72.src.rpm and also
the binary distribution: RPMvtk-4.1.1-1.cvs20020705.72.i386.rpm

I'm using it under redhat 7.2 with lam-6.5.6-usysv.1.  ParallelIso.cxx
works in single processor mode but when I run it with mpirun -np 2 it
crashes lamd (see below).

Are the examples known to work with MPICH?  If they work with MPICH I'll
try that instead of lam-mpi.  Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

[djackson at frontend-0-0 parallel_example]$ lamboot -v hosts

LAM 6.5.6/MPI 2 C++/ROMIO - University of Notre Dame

Executing hboot on n0 (localhost - 2 CPUs)...
topology done
[djackson at frontend-0-0 parallel_example]$ mpirun -np 2 ./paralleliso
[djackson at frontend-0-0 parallel_example]$
It seems that some error has occurred during MPI_INIT.  This will
cause your process to abort.  These kinds of errors are usually
system-related, such as running out of disk space, running out of
memory, or something more serious such as data not being passed
between processes properly.  That is, you should not be seeing this
error message; if you are, somethings is likely Very Wrong with your
system.  :-(

Perhaps this Unix error message will help:

    Unix errno: 3
    No such process