[vtkusers] Rookie 3d advice/opinion

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Thu Jan 31 13:54:03 EST 2002

Alex, since you have a diameter at each point perhaps you could plot a sphere
glyph at each point, the size of the glyph determined by the diameter. This
would kind of "splat" your tree in 3D if the points are close enought together.
If you know the normal of the diameter at each point, I image you could generate
the branch diameter circumference points and surface render those points using
vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter. Also, I seem to remembered seeing a nifty
example in the vtk book where a streamtube was used and the diameter of the tube
was varied by some other scalar (diameter in this case), perhaps theres a way to
do the viz using streamtubes???  ...john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [208.136.18.25]

From: "Alex Lear" <alex_lear at hotmail.com>@public.kitware.com on 01/30/2002 01:48
PM MST

        "Alex Lear" <alex_lear at hotmail.com>           To:   vtkusers at public.kitware.com
                        @public.kitware.com           Cc:    (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
                                              Subject:      [vtkusers] Rookie 3d advice/opinion

                                   Sent by:
          vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                        01/30/2002 03:48 PM

I am new to vtk and not aware of eveything that is possible so I thought I would
ask for a little help.

I have data that represents a tree branch type structure.  Each data point
represents the position (x,y,z) and the diameter of the branch for that small
section.  There is roughly a thousand data points that completely describes the
whole tree structure.  There is also data that describes which points are
branching points where two limbs branch off.  I am trying to draw this as a 3d
rendering but I am not sure what is the best way to do it.  Since it is just
individual data points, I am not sure what to use to create a 3d volume that
shows each individual sections diameter.  Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
Once again, I am a rookie so basic information could be just what I need.
Thanks in advance!!

Alex

alex_lear at hotmail.com

Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here