[vtkusers] Re: "a decent visual" error...

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Mon Jan 28 15:13:32 EST 2002

> From: Chuanxi Xu <xuc at cis.uab.edu>
>
>   Hi,everyone.I've installed VTK(first v4.0 and then v3.2) on Solaris.The
> examples can "cmake" and "make" and there's an executable generated,but it
> doesn't run well.The error was always:
>
>   ${my_vtk_dir}/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 195
>   vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x36f808): Could not find a decent visual
>
>   What could I do? Do I need to change any environmental variable in the topmost
> CMakeLists.txt before "cmake" VTK?
>   Appreciate your attention for my urgency.
>
> chris at uab

A couple things to suggest - look at the CMakeCache.txt file to make
certain it's point to the correct OpenGL libraries.

Are you using Sun's OpenGL libraries or Mesa? Have you verified that
they are working ok (i.e., tested another OpenGL program other than
VTK)?

You might also look at the output of:

xdpyinfo

and

glxinfo (although this may not be available on Solaris).

Sounds to me like you need to check with your system administrator
about what visuals your system supports.

Good luck.

Dave