[vtkusers] VTK packages in Debian testing/woody!

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sun Jan 27 06:28:03 EST 2002

hi,

I just wanted folks to know that thanks to Maitland Bottoms
<bottoms at debian.org> official VTK 3.2 packages are available for
Debian woody/testing.  Java is not yet supported and I believe
Maitland is working on them but python, tcl and c++ are supported
well.  The patented classes pose problems with the DFSG so aren't
packaged yet but again I believe Maitland is working on that.

CMake is already packaged for Debian (again thanks to Maitland), and
Maitland is working on VTK 4.0 packages.

In case you did not know, Debian has ports to 11 different
architectures (i386, arm, ia64, alpha, hppa, mips, mipsel, m68k,
powerpc, s390 and sparc) and VTK 3.2 binaries are now available for
all of them and installing them is as simple as doing:

 apt-get install vtk-tcl python-vtk vtk-doc vtk-examples

Many, *many* thanks to Maitland for his efforts!!

prabhu