[vtkusers] huge speed difference between on-screen and off-screen rendering

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Wed Jan 23 05:02:39 EST 2002

Hi Jorrit,

The off-screen rendering is done without any hardware acceleration.
There are GL extensions to allow off-screen rendering with acceleration,
but very few OpenGL drivers support these extensions.

It is possible that in the future VTK could be enhanced to do
hardware-accelerated offscreen rendering with the drivers/cards
that support it, but for now you're out of luck.

You could try tricks like using a double-buffered window, not mapping
the window (you'd have to do this via C++ or via a vtkTkRenderWidget or
some such because you couldn't do it with a raw vtkRenderWindow), and then
grabbing the image from the back buffer.  That might work, but I don't
think anyone has tested it.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group