[vtkusers] ava.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit

Peter J. Carr pjc at hootenanny.org
Tue Jan 22 05:44:13 EST 2002

I am unable to run Regression.java after building the latest version of VTK.
Setup:
    RedHat Linux 7.2
    Sun JDK 1.3.1
    Mesa 4.0.1

I have set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the directory which contains the
vtk*.so files. The loadLibrary(...) methods all work without throwing an
exception. The error occurs during the constructor for vtkRenderWindow.
I added some print statements to track whether the library gets loaded.

$ java Regression
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: VTKInit
    at vtk.vtkRenderWindow.VTKInit(Native Method)
    at vtk.vtkObject.<init>(vtkObject.java:97)
    at vtk.vtkWindow.<init>(vtkWindow.java:166)
    at vtk.vtkRenderWindow.<init>(vtkRenderWindow.java:358)
    at Regression.main(Regression.java:24)

Any help is greatly appreciated. The only oddness of my system is that I
uninstalled Mesa-3.* (rpm) and then installed Mesa-4 from source code.

Thanks,
Peter Carr