[vtkusers] VTK post-install for Python [Win32]

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Jan 21 03:33:11 EST 2002

Hi Eric,

A few comments.

[snip]

    EB> - In Python21HOME\Lib\vtkpython rename the vtkpython.py file
    EB> to __init__.py

[snip]

    EB>  * Use the vtkpython.pth import trick. This simply requires
    EB> creating a file containing the pathes to the vtk*Python.dll
    EB> and the vtk *.py scripts (no renaming needed). Alas I cound't

I prefer using this scheme rather than renaming vtkpython.py to
__init__.py.  The reason is that if you do this you can no longer
access vtkRenderWidget etc. straight away and instead you'd need to do
vtkpython.vtkRenderWidget which is a pain and breaks backwards
compatibility.

    EB> automatize this mecanism with Python : I ended up with
    EB> unsolvable problems (to me) when either Python or vtkNightly
    EB> are not installed on the same partition.

Automatizing is possibly a pain with distutils and an existing
tarball/build.  Maybe we shouldnt use distutils at all in that case
and simply write a small Tkinter program that asks for source and dest
dirs and does the job?  What do the others think?

Also, note that there are no RPMS for VTK 4.0. :( So there isn't an
RPM option under Linux. :(

I can make tarballs for the C++, Python and Tcl libraries using a
shell script.  I use this to make the binaries that you see in
http://av.stanford.edu/~prabhu/download/vtk.  So if someone is
interested in those scripts let me know and I can put that also for
download.

prabhu