[vtkusers] Java + Linux Xlib Error

J.A. Lee jeff at cdnorthamerica.com
Thu Jan 17 15:04:13 EST 2002

Hi Peter,
I was able to alleviate the problem by upgrading to the most recent 7.2
redhat (using up2date).  I'm not sure which libs fixed the problem.
 Compiling vtk with threads hasn't presented any problems for me on
linux, but it potentially can on other systems.  Linux java uses native
pthreads, so all should be ok.  I have been investigating the source of
the async errors - it stems from the fact that the jvm doesn't call
XInitThreads before making other xlib calls.  XInitThreads is an X
function that allows the display to be updated from multiple threads.
 Upgrading is only half the battle though, once you want to display
multiple vtkRenderWindows, you will experience the same problem - which
isn't solved by a simple upgrade.  But you should be able to display
them either tabbed or in a cardlayout.  Perhaps the next version of X
will shape up, or java might improve - tough to say.

P.S.  one thing that would work in a pinch is to use mesa4.0 with
threads on, but you lose any hardware acceleration you may have had.
-Jeff