[vtkusers] Building VTK for XDarwin

Sander Niemeijer niemeijer at science-and-technology.nl
Thu Feb 28 03:47:28 EST 2002

On Wednesday, February 27, 2002, at 10:10 PM, Joey Mukherjee wrote:

> I did notice one problem in using your modifications to the
> CMakefile.txt.

What was the problem? Since my suggestions might be added to VTK I would
like to eliminate known problems beforehand.

> First, do you use texture maps?  My guess is no, since the problem
> seems to be
> in vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx.  There are a few "#ifdef __APPLE__"'s in there
> and they
> all rely on the Quartz stuff, not the X stuff.

Well, actually.. I do, but I'm using it only for X, not quartz. Where
does the problem happen? With the quartz build, or the X build?
By the way, I changed ALL occurances of __APPLE__ to VTK_USE_QUARTZ in
vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx.

> If we are relying on X stuff, should __APPLE__ be defined?  I think it
> should
> be, but in this case, we should not be keying on the __APPLE__ but on
> VTK_USE_QUARTZ in the vtkToolkits.h file.  I changed
> vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx and it
> now works fine.

I don't get it. The vtkToolkits.h I have has not reference to __APPLE__
at all.

> Yves: are you listening?  I know you did a lot of the work on this,
> would this
> be a major problem?
>

> I did a grep, and this is what I got:
>

> [joeymac:~/sddas/VTK] joey% grep -l "__APPLE__" */*.cxx */*.h
> Common/vtkDynamicLoader.cxx
> Hybrid/vtkVRMLImporter.cxx

I think the __APPLE__ references in these 2 files are ok and should be
left here.

> Rendering/vtkOpenGLActor.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLCamera.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLImageActor.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLImageMapper.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLImager.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLLight.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper2D.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLProperty.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLRenderer.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLVolumeTextureMapper2D.cxx
> Rendering/vtkQuartzImageWindow.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLPolyDataMapper.h
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.h
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLStateCache.h
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLTexture.cxx
> Rendering/vtkOpenGLVolumeRayCastMapper.h

All these references can/should be changed to VTK_USE_QUARTZ (except for
vtkQuartzImageWindow.cxx, because checking for either __APPLE__ or
VTK_USE_QUARTZ in a quartz specific file is a bit superfluous :-)

Regards,
Sander