[vtkusers] vtkTkRenderWidget fails when trying to locate vtkLoadPythonTkWidget.dll

jeremiah newbie jeremiahnewbie at delusional.nu
Sun Feb 24 23:22:05 EST 2002

Hi all,

I'm new to the list and I'm having problems trying to install vtk
on my windows 2000 machine.  So far I've sucessfully installed
python 2.1 on my machine though their install program.  When
trying to install vtk I followed this procedure:

1) I first ran vtk40Core.exe to install core libraries
2) I then ran vtk40Python.exe to install Python wrapper for vtk
3) I went to Les Schaffer's webpage and got his vtk4-python21-
dlls.zip package.  I unzipped it with its directory structure,
allowing all the files to be placed properly.  However,
originally, his package unzips all the .dll files in a "/vtk4"
directory.  I moved all those .dll files into the "/vtk40"
directory where the installation programs from steps 1 & 2
originally installed the vtk library.
4) I edited my registery to add the path of the "/python21/vtk"
and "/vtk40" directories to the PYTHONPATH environment variable.

My intention is to run MayaVi from its source, so I used
their "test_vtk.py" script to test my installation of vtk.  It can
import the vtk library and utilize it to render a scene.  However,
when it tries to implement a scene using vtkRenderWidget the
scripts exits with an error.

After looking at the script, I can see that it fails when it calls
the "vtkTkRenderWidget()" method, because that method fails to
load the "vtkLoadPythonTkWidgets.dll" library.

I am completely boggled by this problem and have spent a good
portion of the day trying to solve it.  From the installation
information I've found on this newsgroup's archies i seem to be
doing the right thing, so I don't know where to begin.  Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

<shameless plug> Visit http://www.delusional.nu </shameless plug>