[vtkusers] Suggestions for volume+surface hardware ?

Matt MacLaurin matt at cyan.com
Thu Feb 21 12:16:07 EST 2002

Make sure to pay careful attention to the type of RAM in any system you consider:

    RAMBUS RDRAM is the most expensive and the fastest, but the gap is narrowing
    DDR SDRAM ("2100") is really fast, really cheap, easily available, and very well established from a quality/stability
perspective
    DDR SDRAM ("2700") is event faster and about as cheap, but the (bios) chipsets are very new. it's just abut RDRAM speed
    "plain old" SDRAM is still, unfortunately, used by most off-the-shelf manufacturers, and is to be avoided at all costs. it's
simply way to cheap to dramatically improve your overall system throughput by using at least DDR 2100 RAM. If you go that way, which
I recommend, it's worth looking for a system that uses the Intel 845D (the 'D' is critical) chipset for the best stability &
performance.