[vtkusers] Suggestions for volume+surface hardware ?

Day, Robert Robert.Day at health.wa.gov.au
Thu Feb 21 04:04:56 EST 2002

We have just been funded to upgrade our aging SGI, and so I am now facing
the question of what to buy.

Given the huge advances in PC graphics cards, and the fact that a lot of the
software I want to run is now available on linux, I am wondering whether the
best price/performance is to be had in a fast PC.  Robert and Sébastien's
benchmark currently show a PC leading the pack by a significant margin, but
the simple sphere does not test volume rendering.  We want to do medical
image processing and volume rendering as well as polygonal surfaces (but
rarely NURBS).

So, realising that it's a difficult question that could produce more heat
than light, I ask the question: What's best to buy to get fast volume and
surface rendering using vtk.

Any advice ?

Rob

Robert Day            ph  +61 8 9225 3227
Project Bioengineer   fax +61 8 9225 1138
Royal Perth Hospital  robert.day at health.wa.gov.au