[vtkusers] Guidance for newbie

Nicolas Clemeur nicolasc at cheque.uq.edu.au
Sat Dec 28 18:08:37 EST 2002

Hello all vtkUsers,

I am a complete newbie in the field of visualisation and I would like some
simple guideline to know where I should start.  I want to display a Finite
Element Mesh (I have all the topological information available in a file)
and be able to do some basic manipulation such as coloring a boundary or
zone with a different color, calculating the intersection of 2 topological
entity (boundary or zone)... I can probably compute the resulting
topological objects (such as the intersection or union), but if there are
some tools in VTK to do this kind of operation (union and intersection) I
would preferably use them..

I am clearly not expecting a exhaustive answer, but if anyone can point me
in the good direction (such as the classes I should use).    It is
apparently quite easy to create a vtkUnstrusturedGrid from my data, but I am
not sure I have understood very well how can I specify that a cell is
belonging to a boundary for example...

Thanks a lot in advance for any help

Nicolas