[vtkusers] representation of non-axis-aligned grids

Jean M. Favre jfavre at cscs.ch
Thu Dec 19 03:09:00 EST 2002

"Sherwood, P (Paul)" wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am trying to figure out if it possible to store
> regular 2 and 2D grids of data (like vtkStructuredPoints but
> not necessarily axis-aligned) without falling back on
> vtkPolyData (where each point has explicit coordinates).

I have a special case of this where an affine transformation is applied
to the grid (a translation and shear). I am able to store my 3D data in
a vtkStructuredPoints and I apply a vtkTransform to my actors and
volumes, and all other relevant objects. My reader is derived from
vtkStructuredPointsSource and holds a vtkTransform as member. The code
then looks like this.

xform   [reader GetTransform]
volume  SetUserTransform xform
plane   SetTransform xform
actor   SetUserTransform xform

See the image of a small piece of DNA with its bounding box before- and
after- shear transformation.

Dr. Jean M. Favre,                            email:favre at cscs.ch
http://www.cscs.ch/people/Favre.html
CSCS, Swiss Center for Scientific Computing | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.40