[vtkusers] C++ exemples !

Jeremy Winston winston at cat.rpi.edu
Tue Dec 17 07:44:36 EST 2002

Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

> Sebastien Auclair <sxa at fluent.com> writes:
> >
> > Hi list !  We've received our kitware book and VTK CD-ROM. We
> > fell from our seats when we saw that almost all the exemples
> > in the book and in the CD-ROM are in TCL/TK !!!! (Not to
> > mention all the errors in the book ...)  Is there a place
> > where we can download about the same exemples but in C++ ?
> > (Even if TCL is easy, still, it's not what we use.)
>
> Look, VTK works with 4 different languages.  Its not right to expect
> them to give examples with each and every language in the book.  Think
> of the poor trees.  If you really want C++ examples look at the
> source, there are a few.  If these aren't enough translate them from
> Tcl and mail them to the vtk list.

Exactly!  Tcl/Tk is trivially easy to learn compared to C++, and
if you already know C++ it will take you under an hour to learn
most of what you need to know to translate Tcl to C++.

See "Tcl/Tk in 5 Easy Lessons":

     http://herzberg.ca.sandia.gov/TclCourse/

> If they are good enough someone (not me) will hopefully commit them
> to CVS for all C++ users to enjoy. Remember, this is open source.

Exactly^2!

> Obvious mistakes in the VTK book?  What book are you talking about?

Well, there are a handful of errors in the textbook, and a handful
in the Users Guide.  Most are trivial typos, though, and the meaning
is clear.

Since Kitware doesn't seem to have put up any errata for the books on
their website, I will send a separate email containing the errors I
found.

-Jeremy