[vtkusers] Mac OS.X build difficulties

Wilson Chang wilson at cs.wisc.edu
Sun Dec 15 20:06:19 EST 2002

Hi, I have searched the VTK users mailing list archive, and didnt find
a resolution to the following VTK build problems on Mac osX.  The build
error I get is:

cc1plus: unrecognized option `-fno-coalesce-static-vtables'

and then the build dies.

When running CMake on VTK, the only options I change are Build_Testing
off, vtk_use_ansi_stdlib on, and vtk_use_hybrid on:

  BUILD_EXAMPLES                   OFF
  BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                OFF
  BUILD_TESTING                    OFF
  CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE                 CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS
  DART_ROOT                        NOTFOUND
  OPENGL_LIBRARIES                 -framework AGL -framework OpenGL
  OPENGL_LIBRARY                   -framework AGL -framework OpenGL
  VTK_DATA_ROOT                    NOTFOUND
  VTK_USE_ANSI_STDLIB              ON
  VTK_USE_HYBRID                   ON
  VTK_USE_PARALLEL                 OFF
  VTK_USE_PATENTED                 OFF
  VTK_USE_QUARTZ                   ON
  VTK_USE_RENDERING                ON
  VTK_USE_VOLUMEPRO                OFF
  VTK_WRAP_JAVA                    OFF
  VTK_WRAP_PYTHON                  OFF

What is interesting is that a friend of mine is having no problem
building VTK on osX.  Can anyone offer any help?

thanks,

Wilson Chang
MD/PhD Program
School of Medicine