[vtkusers] VTK Python Examples?

Jose Paulo Moitinho de Almeida moitinho at civil.ist.utl.pt
Fri Dec 6 10:26:23 EST 2002

On Wednesday 04 December 2002 17:11, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
> Hi Dean,

>     DNW>     Can you tell me if the all the Python examples that were
>     DNW> included in Vtk 3.0 are now in Vtk 4.1.1?  (That is, the
>     DNW> Vtk/Python test/example programs should be in the
>     DNW> VTK/Graphics/Testing/Python directory.  In version 4.0, all
>     DNW> the Python examples were not included.)
>
> Unfortunately no.  All the Tcl examples that you see are new ones.
> Someone has to take the pains to either write new Python examples or
> add upgraded versions of the older ones from 3.2 or atleast translate
> all the existing VTK 4.x Tcl examples to Python.  I believe the
> recommended approach with VTK 4.x is to write well documented examples
> rather than simply use the older ones from 3.2.  This is going to take
> some work.  I'm swamped with things to do so haven't volunteered for
> the task.  I guess translating the existing VTK 4.x Tcl examples to
> Python should not be too hard.  Any volunteers?

I am not volunteering, just attaching a "translation" of TenEllip.tcl to
TenEllip.py.

Comments welcome. If is is ok I will try to find time to do one or two such
translations a week. In Examples there are 103 .tcl files and in
*/Testing/Tcl I counted 346. If there are no more files it means that I will
have the job done in 4 to 8 years ;-)

See you then!

Regards

Ze Paulo