[vtkusers] VTK Python Examples?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Wed Dec 4 12:11:48 EST 2002

Hi Dean,

    DNW>     Can you tell me if the all the Python examples that were
    DNW> included in Vtk 3.0 are now in Vtk 4.1.1?  (That is, the
    DNW> Vtk/Python test/example programs should be in the
    DNW> VTK/Graphics/Testing/Python directory.  In version 4.0, all
    DNW> the Python examples were not included.)

Unfortunately no.  All the Tcl examples that you see are new ones.
Someone has to take the pains to either write new Python examples or
add upgraded versions of the older ones from 3.2 or atleast translate
all the existing VTK 4.x Tcl examples to Python.  I believe the
recommended approach with VTK 4.x is to write well documented examples
rather than simply use the older ones from 3.2.  This is going to take
some work.  I'm swamped with things to do so haven't volunteered for
the task.  I guess translating the existing VTK 4.x Tcl examples to
Python should not be too hard.  Any volunteers?

As regards VTK-Python testing.  There is a new Python unit testing
framework in place in CVS.  A couple of simple tests are in place for
the vtkTkRenderWidget and the vtkTkRenderWindowInteractor.  Hopefully
over time more Python tests will be created.

For now I'm just planning on getting the Python README.txt file
updated and if I can test any of David Gobbi's vtkImage*Array.py code.
I'll add them to the repository.  Beyond that I can't really
promise. :(

regards,
prabhu