[vtkusers] volume rendering ImageData after vtkImageReslice

David Gobbi dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
Mon Aug 19 08:32:21 EDT 2002

Hi Yuan,

One problem you will have is that the volume will look squashed
the way that you have resampled it.  The vtkImageViewer always
maps one image pixel (voxel) to one screen pixel i.e. it ignores
the Spacing of the image data.  The vtkVolume does look at the
Spacing of the input image data, so it will see that the spacing
in Z is on-fifth the spacing in x or y and render accordingly.

When you read image data into VTK, you should always make sure
that you set the x, y, and z spacing correctly in the Reader.
For example to something like (1,1,5) in your case.  Then, to
you resample the data, you change the spacing to (1,1,1).

There are many filters in VTK that cant't work properly unless
you correctly set the DataSpacing in the Reader.  These include
vtkImageReslice, vtkMarchingCubes, vtkContourFilter, vtkProbeFilter,
vtkImageActor and several others.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                dgobbi at imaging.robarts.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group