[vtkusers] Running out of file handles

David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz David.Pont at ForestResearch.co.nz
Sun Aug 18 18:11:53 EDT 2002

I am loading about 80 images from TIFF files, one vtkTIFFReader per image,
and I get an error after the maximum number of file handles is reached. I
am using Borland C++ Builder, which defines FOPEN_MAX 50. The images are of
cross sections cut from a tree, so form a kind of volume, with irregular
spacing.
I am more used to working with polydata, so images and volumes are new to
me. Does anyone have any tips on how to circumvent the limit on file
handles. I tried vtkTIFFReader->SetReleaseDataFlag( 1 ), Update, with no
change. Should I name/number the files to allow the TIFFReader to load them
as a sequence, or will the limit still apply? Or can I create a volume out
of the images in the first place and load that, although I think the
irregular spacing will be a problem with any volume based approach.

  regards
     Dave Pont