[vtkusers] (no subject)

Amy Henderson amy.henderson at kitware.com
Tue Aug 13 11:46:04 EDT 2002

At 03:29 PM 8/13/2002 +0000, Bert VanSesamstraat wrote:

>Dear all.
>I'm very new to Vtk and Tcl/Tk.
>Now is my question how to  read or write the variables that are listed as
>protected in the class
>reference of a function.
>Simply use
>
>        set val [planeWidgetX OriginalWindow]
>
>Doesn't work.
>Can someone also explain me what the purpose is of a protected variable.
>Probably all very basic but I really don't know.

In C++, you do not have direct access to protected variables outside of the
class they are in.  You only have access to them if methods are provided in
the public section that allow you to get or set their values.  One reason
that variables are protected so that there is more control over what their
values are set to.

- Amy