[vtkusers] Problems running example code....

Rasmus Reinhold Paulsen rrp at imm.dtu.dk
Fri Aug 2 07:51:04 EDT 2002

Hi Peppe,

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, peppe megali wrote:

> I downloaded VTK 4.0 and installed it. I downloaded also the source
> code, and unzipped it. When I try to execute the examples TCL code
> contained in the Testing directory of the Patented source code (e.g.
> .../VTK/Patented/Testing/Tcl/iceCream.tcl) I get error messages like this:
>
> - invalid command name "vtkMarchingContourFilter" while executing
> "vtkMarchingContourFilter theConeSurface"....
>
> the command name differs depending from the specific tcl example.
>
> This happen for all the tcl source file in that directory (while no
> problems I had encountered executing all the tcl example and testing
> code in the other directories), and the invalid command name is always
> one of the Patented code.
> Practically,  it seems that the Patented code has not be installed
> correctly (infact  I have not vtkPatentedTcl lib and dll)...
>
> What do I have to do to correctly install the Patented code?

The patented code is not included in the binary distribution. To get that
you have to recompile VTK yourself. Instructions for doing that can be
found in the VTK books. If you are using windows, I have written a step by
step guide, which can be found here (under manuals):

www.imm.dtu.dk/~rrp

Regards,
Rasmus