[vtkusers] insphere radius of a tetrahedron

Philipp.Batchelor philipp.batchelor at kcl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 25 11:32:54 EDT 2002

I just did a google search, I found this site/code for different shape measures
of a tetrahedron, in particular ratio in/out
gives:
(obviously, Randy was talking about the regular tetrahedron)

/*---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 * FUNCTION: TetShapeMeasure_RadiusRatio
 *
 * Return the tetrahedron shape measure rho given by three times rho_in
 * divided by rho_out where rho_in is the inradius and rho_out is the
 * circumradius of the tetrahedron.  This tetrahedron shape measure is
 * independant of the sign of the volume of the tetrahedron because the
 * volume is squared.
 *
 *---------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
cf http://www.erc.msstate.edu/~rksingh/angle_cal.html
// The formula comes from:
   // A. Liu and B. Joe
   // ``Relation Between Tetraherdon Shape Measure''
   // BIT 34 (1994), 268--287.
   return   ( 216 * volume * volume )
          / ( ( areaBCD + areaACD + areaABD + areaABC ) *
              sqrt(   ( a + b + c ) * ( a + b - c )
                    * ( a + c - b ) * ( b + c - a ) ) );

Ph. Batchelor

Will Schroeder wrote:

> The inscribed sphere radius is not directly related to the circumsphere. In
> the limiting case (where the tetra approaches flat) the insphere r ~ 0,
> while the circumsphere R -> infinity. Go to
> http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/formulas/faq.polyhedron.html#tetrahedron
> for the equations. If you code it up, please let's add it into vtkTetra as
> a companion to   "static double Circumsphere(double  p1[3], double p2[3],
> double p3[3], double p4[3], double center[3]);" The ratio of r/R is a good
> measure of the quality of the tetrahedron, and is used by finite element
> analysts.
> Will
>
> At 06:50 AM 4/25/2002 -0500, Randy Heiland wrote:
> >If you have the outer, isn't the inner just 1/3 of it?
> >
> >Randy
> >
> >------------------------
> >Hi everybody,
> >
> >I would like to calculate the insphere radius of a tetrahedron...I used
> >Circumsphere() function for the outer radius...
> >
> >How can I compute easily the inner sphere radius of a tetrahedron in VTK or
> >mathematically using VTK....
> >
> >I would be greatful if you help me.....
> >
> >Thanks....
> >
> >Rupi