[vtkusers] insphere radius of a tetrahedron

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Apr 25 09:57:20 EDT 2002

The inscribed sphere radius is not directly related to the circumsphere. In
the limiting case (where the tetra approaches flat) the insphere r ~ 0,
while the circumsphere R -> infinity. Go to
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/formulas/faq.polyhedron.html#tetrahedron
for the equations. If you code it up, please let's add it into vtkTetra as
a companion to   "static double Circumsphere(double  p1[3], double p2[3],
double p3[3], double p4[3], double center[3]);" The ratio of r/R is a good
measure of the quality of the tetrahedron, and is used by finite element
analysts.
Will