[vtkusers] am I missing something, everything is dificult building under windows

Randy Dawson dnasoc at direcpc.com
Mon Apr 22 03:38:34 EDT 2002

There is no technical information here, it's a rant, so ignore unless
you want to commiserate.

why are there no native Visual c++ build files for the windows
environment?

Cmake with the build examples switch on does not make the c examples.

Why must we learn another make-maker, I have suffered through Imake,
and other various swiss army knife attempts at creating make files and
building code for all platforms.  Some of them worked pretty well, like
the rayshade script, and it gave me tons of scrolling messages as it
figured out where my libraries where, what OS
I was on, and if certain commands executed properly.

I have read the FAQ, and the mail list.  I see that many suffer as I do,
trying to build cone.cxx and must specifically specify the build
environment, compiler switches, include paths and libraries, all through
the horrible MS gui.  Now add MS foundation classes to the situation,
and I see the mail list messages double.

Of course, its a path here or there, a missing switch, a download, patch
or two, shared libs or not, but it should not be this way.  We should
have a pre-built, tested  vtk native microsoft project definition just
like any other visual c++ project.

I know, I'm not worthy.  When I figure out all the arcane MS stuff, I
will share.

BTW, I am sure the builds go flawlessly on gcc, and real computers.
Unfortunately, I have to work with the most popular platform.

Randy Dawson

PS I bought the book 2 years ago, now its missing.  Whoever grabbed it
from my office, give it back.