[vtkusers] Trouble with Compiling Java Extensions

Chris Johnson chrisj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Tue Apr 9 04:39:03 EDT 2002

Hi Jon,

Before the compilation, you will need to create the VTK_HOME/java
directory and VTK_HOME/java/vtk directory, if you haven't already. I don't
know if this is the problem you are encountering. These directories are
not created automatically.

A previous email to the list from Phil Varner has some useful information,
if you haven't already come across it:

Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:33:32 -0500 (EST)
From: Phil Varner <pev5b at cs.virginia.edu>

Let me know how you get on. We have installed vtk & java here many times
(on Solaris) and it has apparently been successful in compilation, but
never in running with java due to problems with shared libraries. The tcl
examples work well though.

Cheers,

Chris

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, jon n wrote:

> Hi, I'm attempting to compile the Java stuff and having a little trouble.
> First, it couldn't find jni.h because our Java is installed in a weird
> location, so I added the write paths to the list of paths in Find-JNI in
> CMake. So that worked, but now when the make begins creating the actual
> .java files its failing without really giving a reason. Is there another
> thing which needs to be set somewhere about Java compiling?

> Error opening output file 0
> make[3]: *** [/home/datatmp/VTK_CVS/VTK/java/vtk/vtkAbstractMapper.java]
> Error 1
> make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2
> make[1]: *** [default_target_Common] Error 2
> make: *** [default_target] Error 2

-Dr Chris Johnson (Applications Consultant)  +44 (0)131 650 5201 (phone)-
-chrisj at epcc.ed.ac.uk			     +44 (0)131 650 6555 (fax)  -
-http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~chrisj/	     	   			-
-Rm 3406, EPCC, JCMB, Edinburgh University,				-
-Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK					-