[vtkusers] Hybrid directory with tcl on solaris 8

Chris Johnson chrisj at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Sat Apr 6 15:08:00 EST 2002

Hi,

In the absence of any working java examples, we are using tcl to show some
`working' examples of vtk with IO. However, I am unable to find many
examples in any of our installations that fall into this category! I keep
encountering errors of the type:

chrisj at lomond$ vtk hello.tcl
Error in startup script: invalid command name "vtkImplicitModeller"
    while executing
"vtkImplicitModeller imp"
    (file "hello.tcl" line 24)
chrisj at lomond$

Usually involving a file from the Hybrid directory. My investigations into
this directory show only .cxx and .h files. E.g.

chrisj at talc$ ll *vtkImplicitModeller*
-rw-r--r--   1 vtk    34404    9296 Jan 22 15:30 vtkImplicitModeller.h
-rw-r--r--   1 vtk    34404   27598 Jan 22 15:30 vtkImplicitModeller.cxx
chrisj at talc$

There are no .o files as in the Graphics directory for example. I can only
assume there is something missing here!

The makefile contains things like:

# Variable for making default_target in subdirectories.
SUBDIR_BUILD = \
default_target_Wrapping \
default_target_Utilities \
default_target_Common \
default_target_Filtering \
default_target_Imaging \
default_target_Graphics \
default_target_IO \
default_target_Rendering \
default_target_Wrapping_Tcl \
default_target_Common_Testing \
default_target_Filtering_Testing \
default_target_Graphics_Testing \
default_target_Imaging_Testing \
default_target_IO_Testing \
default_target_Rendering_Testing

with no mention of Hybrid. My bin directory has .so files relating to the
files above, but no mention of anything `Hybrid'. What is it that I'm
likely to be missing? Just a couple of .so files, or anything else. I'm
not sure I understand what vtk requires when I type

vtk hello.tcl

I have had a look at previous installations and have found the same
thing. I am extremely loathed to do yet another installation!

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

-Dr Chris Johnson (Applications Consultant)  +44 (0)131 650 5201 (phone)-
-chrisj at epcc.ed.ac.uk			     +44 (0)131 650 6555 (fax)  -
-http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~chrisj/	     	   			-
-Rm 3406, EPCC, JCMB, Edinburgh University,				-
-Mayfield Road, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK					-