[vtkusers] n-dimensional Dataset

Isaac Ben ib at saltmail.thesalt.com
Fri Apr 5 10:01:17 EST 2002

Greetings all,

I need any and all feed back I can get regarding wether to
use an exisiting dataset type or create a custom one for
n-dimensional data.

For each row in the n-d dataset I compute a NOSP
(Non-orthogonal single end point) using a proprietary
alogorithm (SBP*) that is represented by a standard 3
element vertex, associated with this point is the orignal
row from the n-d dataset that are used throughout the
visualization process.

For each dataset object I need to keep track of the number
of dimensions (columns), angle, initial row order, etc...

The problem I run into in deciding wether the
UnstructuredGrid dataset object is approriate is in the
association of a vertex with it's source data.  Since this
source is what would be used to do topographic computation
I'm not sure if it is a good idea to use the "attributes"
elements of the cell to store this information.

Basically my question is: Am I misunderstanding vtk's
dataset object or do I really need to develop a custom
dataset class?

Thanks in advance
IB

Isaac Ben