[vtkusers] Newbie on Cygwin

Joey Mukherjee joey at phobos.space.swri.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:58:53 EDT 2001

>Currently, the best way to build with cygwin, is to use the current VTK in the
>cvs repository, which builds with CMake.   It only builds static right now,
>but you can build with tcl/tk if you get the source release for those
>packages from cygwin.

I recently got VTK under Cygwin to work by hacking the makefiles, but possibly
there is a way to make this work correctly without the hack.  Basically, I added
the UNIX defines to the system.make file manually and then did the recompile.

My situation is a little different from Ryan's in that I am porting X software
to run under Cygwin so I want to use the Xlib stuff that Ryan is trying to
avoid.

Could an option be added to configure to make it handle both cases:  native
windows and Cygwin/X?

Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                 "The price of freedom is eternal      +
+     joey at swri.org                   vigilance, or $12.50 as seen on      +
+                                     E-Bay...                             +