[vtkusers] vtkCellLocator

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Mon Sep 10 10:17:24 EDT 2001

CellLocator should work fine. (The tolerance is used, but the details are
hidden away deep inside the vtkCell subclasses (polygon, triangle etc etc)
where it controls line intersection tests - although you didn't specify how
you are using the locator).

If you use an implicit function to describe a polyhedral radar beam (or
even a cone) and intersect that with the Dataset using a celllocator you
can do what you want. [You will get the front and back of a hill though. If
you are implementing a full backscatter type problem then you can take the
clipped dataset, run it through a normal generator, and using the antenna
as a reference then reject the rear facing polygons and compute field
strength at the remaining points. use these asscalars on the original
dataset and you get some nice piccies]

JB