[vtkusers] vtk in terrain visualization

Joey Mukherjee joey at phobos.space.swri.edu
Mon Oct 15 10:27:09 EDT 2001

>   I am now working with vtk in terrain visualization.
>Suppose that my data are evenly distributed on the
>joints of an unstructured grid, and the scalar data
>act as elevations. How can I build the trianglation
>and then render it?

I do something similar by using vtkDelaunay2D to do the triangulation and the
vtkElevationFilter on the scalar data to make the data look elevated as a
terrain.

>Moreover, if there are also some wheather phenomena,
>e.g. fog or cloud, to be portrayed over the landscape,
>what kind of classes shall i pay attention to? Is it
>difficult to create animation using vtk?

You would create another actor to do the weather phenomena, but AFAIK there is
no automatic way to do it.  I create animations by using the
vtkOffscreenRenderWindow to make new pictures and then use ImageMagick to join
them into an animated GIF.  That may or may not be the solution for you.

I am attaching a small pic which shows the vtkDelaunay2D in action over the
vtkEarthSource.  I am using the vtkElevationFilter, but in the picture, I have
that turned off since it creates too many mountains which looks funny to my
eyes; especially since the colors relay the same information.

For those interested, this is an image of the aurora from the Dynamics Explorer
I satellite in 1981.  The spikes are errors in the telemetry, and not an
artifact of the triangulation.

Joey

+     Joey Mukherjee                 "The price of freedom is eternal      +
+     joey at swri.org                   vigilance, or $12.50 as seen on      +
+                                     E-Bay...                             +