[vtkusers] vtk+wxWindows+Diffpack=AAAARRGGHHHH!!

stefano mininel mininel.ml at gnbts.univ.trieste.it
Wed Nov 28 04:56:06 EST 2001

Hi everyone. A brief introduction: I'm trying to obtain a "menage a
trois" with vtk, wxWindows (cross-platform GUI libraries, freeware&open
source) and Diffpack (C++ classes and libraries for partial differences
solution, commercial) in VC++ 6.0.
It's not terribly easy (and I'm really not an informatics "guru") so
this is probably only the first of several questions I'll ask you about
the more vtk-related problems.
Now the question:

I declare a wxWindows frame:
"class MyFrame : public wxFrame"

create it:
"MyFrame *frame = new MyFrame("Minimal wxWindows App", wxPoint(50, 50),
wxSize(500, 500));"

create a vtk window and assign her the wxFrame HWND:
"vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow *renWin = vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow::New();

     renWin->SetWindowId(HWND(frame));"

and then do all the other things of the graphics pipeline.
No problems in the compiling/linking, but when I run the executable the
frame appears but immediately after that I receive a "ChoosePixelFormat
failed" message and application closes after "OKing" the message..
Have I done something terribly wrong/naive or in general this should do
well but there are some subtle adjustments to be done?
Thanks for any help or tip!

    Stefano Mininel