[vtkusers] vtkTk*Widget -- to .so or not to .so

Bob Lewis bobl at tricity.wsu.edu
Tue Nov 27 22:46:19 EST 2001

Would someone please straighten me out on the VTK/Python/Tk interface
stuff in vtkTk{Render|ImageViewer|ImageWindow}Widget?  I've remade vtk
3.2 on my Red Hat Linux 7.1 system and my simple little
Tk-instrumented Python "mace" program keeps complaining

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "./tkmace", line 36, in ?
    rwdg = vtkTkRenderWidget(root, width=200, height=200)
  File "/cslab/lib/vtk/python/vtkRenderWidget.py", line 71, in __init__
    master.tk.call('load','vtkTkRenderWidget')
TclError: couldn't load file "vtkTkRenderWidget": vtkTkRenderWidget.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

As near as I can tell, neither "make" nor "make install" in the vtk
source directory produces a "vtkTkRenderWidget.so", only a
"vtkTkRenderWidget".  I can, of course, symlink one to the other and
it appears to do the right thing, but I shouldn't have to, right?

I configured with "--with-x --with-tkwidget --with-shared --with-tcl
--with-python --with-patented --with-contrib --with-opengl".

    - Bob Lewis