[vtkusers] Adaptive / on-demand visualization with VTK

anast.jm at pg.com anast.jm at pg.com
Mon Nov 26 10:13:59 EST 2001

Marcel, Have you considered using rendering hardware, like the Terarecon
VolumePro series?  It renders in real time quite nicely and is fully supported
in vtk. The new 1000 board does fairly large volumes 512x512x512. My 500 only
does 256x256x256 but that has been extremely useful. With the VP1000 you can
also use multiple boards. More info at http://www.terarecon.com

...john

 Internet Mail Message
 Received from host:      public.kitware.com
 [208.136.18.25]

From: Marcel Prastawa <prastawa at cs.unc.edu>@public.kitware.com on 11/25/2001
09:47 PM

    Marcel Prastawa <prastawa at cs.unc.edu>           To:   vtkusers at public.kitware.com
                      @public.kitware.com           Cc:    (bcc: John Anast-JM/PGI)
                                            Subject:      [vtkusers] Adaptive / on-demand
                                                 visualization with VTK
                                 Sent by:
        vtkusers-admin at public.kitware.com
                      11/25/2001 09:47 PM

I would like to visualize a volume data that can be manipulated in real
time. Generating data for each point involves rather expensive
computations (also defined dynamically), a brute-force algorithm is not
desirable.

What I envision is an algorithm that would divide the volume and
generate data incrementally. It would take the camera/eye location into
account and only generate/display new data for parts of the volume that
are visible (or updated).

Has something like this been done with VTK?

Any hints or suggestions on how I should approach this? (What VTK data
types or filters to use, efficiency tips, etc).

I would appreciate any advice or comments from the VTK community.
Marcel