[vtkusers] Mesa/VTK problem on RedHat 7.2 (also with Mesa 4.0)

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Sat Nov 17 17:31:08 EST 2001

When I moved from RedHat 7.1 to RedHat 7.2, I started getting missing
polygons in simple VTK examples (using vtk3.2). It was suggested that
I try Mesa 4.0 so I did, but the same thing still happens. I also
tried VTK 4.0, but the same thing still happens. I completely removed
the libGL and libGLU files that came with RedHat 7.2, installed
Mesa-4.0, compiled VTK 4.0 and it still happens.

http://capital2.capital.edu/faculty/dreed/medical1.jpg

shows an example - there are polygons missing just under the nose.

The same program works fine (no missing polygons) with NVidia's
drivers with a TNT2 card. So either it's a bug in Mesa or some strange
interaction between VTK and Mesa. I suspect it's a bug in Mesa, but
I'm not certain.

The program is basically the medical1.cxx file from one of the
examples directories in vtk 3.2.

Can anyone else running RedHat 7.2 confirm this behavior (it worked
fine on 7.1).

I also tried a small GLUT program and Mesa4.0 appears to have bugs
that Mesa 3.4 does not. See the images:

http://capital2.capital.edu/faculty/dreed/mesa3.4.jpg
http://capital2.capital.edu/faculty/dreed/mesa4.0.jpg

Note that the cone is missing polygons near the top in the 4.0
example.

I can provide code for any of these if anyone wants it.

Thanks,
Dave