[vtkusers] HELP!!! How to derive a new Cell type.

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Nov 15 11:08:32 EST 2001

Hi Song-

>At 12:16 AM 11/14/2001 -0600, Song Li wrote:
>Hi,
>    Does anybody has experience to derive new cell types ???? any online
> tutorials , source code ....... I can take a look at ??? Thanks!
>--

To derive a new cell type you'll typically do the following:

1) derive from vtkCell or vtkCell3D. This means overloading any virtual
functions consistent with your new cell type; as well as implementing all
pure virtual functions. This is the hard part.

2) If you want to use use the method vtkDataSet::GetCell(id,genericCell),
make sure that you extend vtkGenericCell to know about your new cell type.
Also add a #define to vtkCellType.h to reflect the new type.

3) If you want to use vtk file formats, etc. you'll have to modify
readers/writers to recognize the new type.

Will

William J. Schroeder, Ph.D
Kitware, Inc.
469 Clifton Corporate Parkway