[vtkusers] VTK-4.0 python-2.1 for Linux.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Nov 15 13:33:56 EST 2001

Hi,

I decided to make an easy(?) to install VTK-Python package for Linux.
I basically built the latest (20011115) VTK 4.0 CVS tree and bundled
all the libraries relevant to Python into a large tarball and added a
silly Makefile to make the installation easy.  Installing this
successfully will hopefully allow one to use VTK from Python 2.1.x
(maybe even 2.0.x?).  The Python version used for the build was 2.1.1.
The build was made on a Debian GNU/Linux woody (testing) machine.
Everything apart from the parallel/volumepro/offscreen stuff is
compiled.  The package is available from here:

      http://av.stanford.edu/~prabhu/download/vtk/

There is a README.txt that I'd recommend reading before downloading
the tarball.  I've only tested it on a Debian woody machine, so YMMV.
Suggestions are welcome.

If someone is interested in distributing their VTK 4.0 libraries built
on Linux, I can give you my scripts that automate the task of creating
this tarball.

Cheers,
prabhu

--
Prabhu Ramachandran			  MayaVi Data Visualizer
http://www.aero.iitm.ernet.in/~prabhu     http://mayavi.sf.net

Where there's no emotion, there's no motive for violence.
		-- Spock, "Dagger of the Mind", stardate 2715.1