[vtkusers] data files and vtk 4.0

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Sun Nov 11 18:09:17 EST 2001

Hi Chris,

I remember some of the discussion when vtk 4.0 was in its early stages,
and the idea was that VTKData should contain only the minimum amount
of data that is necessary for regression testing.  In other words, the
new VTKData does not serve the same purpose as the old VTKData (so
maybe it should have been called VTKRegressionData?).

Maybe a new module called VTKExampleData could be created that contains
all of the old example data.  It would be a waste to not have the old
data as an (optional) part of VTK 4.0 since so many people are already
familiar with it.

At the same time, some more examples could be added to VTK/Examples that
use the new data.  There are a few of my own examples I've been meaning to
move from VTK 3.X to VTK 4.0 that I just haven't gotten around to. I'm
certain that it was always the intent to move most of the vtk 3.x examples
to VTK 4.0, but everyone was concentrating on getting the smaller
regression test scripts moved first.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                       dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group