[vtkusers] data files and vtk 4.0

Christopher R. Volpe cvolpe2 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Nov 11 17:48:12 EST 2001

Back in the old days of vtk3.2, I would do a cvs checkout of "vtkdata" and
get about 228 MB of data used by the various example scripts. Now, in
vtk4.0, the scripts look for data files in a "Data" sub-folder within
"VTKData" (note capitalization). So, I do a cvs checkout of VTKData, and I
get about 22 MB of stuff, about half of which is regression test image
files, with the other half consisting of actual vtk datasets.

So, I'm a bit confused about the different data repositories (big "vtkdata"
versus little "VTKData") and their intent. Is "vtkdata" now defunct, and
replaced entirely by "VTKData"? If so, why did 90% of the data vanish? If
not, why give them names differing only in capitalization, thereby forcing
Windows users to jump through hoops to do checkouts of each from the same
location? Also, what about example scripts that utilized those datafiles?
The liquid oxygen post dataset is gone from VTKData, as are the LOx*.tcl
example scripts. Are they gone for a reason? What's the deal?

Thanks,
Chris