[vtkusers] vtkGTKRenderWidget.py problems on win32

David Pinson dpinson at materials.unsw.edu.au
Tue Nov 6 01:31:25 EST 2001

I am using pygtk + vtk (via vtkgtkrenderwidget.py) eg:

python vtkGTKRenderWidget.py

Under linux, this works as expected. (much thanks Prabhu). But as
is often the case, my application now needs to work under windows.

So.....
(win32 + python 2.1 + vtk + pygtk)

But under windows: (nt4 sp6)

The vtk render window doesn't get embedded into the
gtkvtkrenderwindow. But instead appears as its own
toplevel window. However, the interactor works...if
you use the mouse with the GtkVtkRenderWindow focused,
then the actions take place in the vtk renderwindow

Z:\>python vtkgtkrenderwidget.py
<GdkWindow at e70b70>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "h:\apps\python21\lib\gtk.py", line 126, in __call__
    ret = apply(self.func, a)
  File "vtkgtkrenderwidget.py", line 113, in OnRealize
    win_id = str (self.box.get_window ().xid)
AttributeError: xid

When the window is realised, this trace back is printed, but otherwise
it is all functional.

I'm mindful of the bug listed in vtkgtkrenderwidget.py
as to the XID hacks used, but don't know what to do with this myself.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

David