[vtkusers] Memory usage and ReleaseDataFlag

Lisa S. Avila lisa.avila at kitware.com
Thu May 31 11:03:52 EDT 2001

Hello John,

The ReleaseDataFlag is for the input, not the output of a filter. If you
have a filter A that provides output that is connected to multiple filters
B, C, and D, then you can have the ReleaseDataFlag on for filter A, but you
have to be careful with B, C, and D. The ReleaseDataFlag is most useful
when you know your pipeline will execute once (or quite infrequently at
least). In that case, you can manually call update on B and C, then have
the ReleaseDataFlag on for D and call update on that one last.

You should have no problem having the ReleaseDataFlag on for a filter
supplying data to a vtkTexture.

Of course, the above is "how it should work" and it is possible that you
have encountered a bug.

Lisa