[vtkusers] How to improve the quality of rendered lines?

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Fri May 25 12:54:03 EDT 2001

hi,

    ES> I am working on a postscript renderer class, derived from the
    ES> OpenGL Renderer class.  As soon as I have done more work on it
    ES> I will post to this mailing list.  (I was unable to find such
    ES> a class on the internet, so if someone knows of something
    ES> please let me know.)  It is based on some code (I think was
    ES> written by Mark Kilgard) that uses OpenGL Feedback mode to
    ES> render the geometry and then produces an Encapsulated
    ES> Postscript (EPS) file.  This preserves the high-resolution
    ES> rendering.

Actually something almost exactly similar has already been done.  It
is not in the VTK source tree but is based on the GL2PS library of
Christophe Geuzaine http://www.geuz.org/gl2ps/

A recent message on the vtkusers list also showed how to integrate VTK
and GL2PS:

http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2001-May/006367.html

I believe the approach is similar (using feedback mode - whatever that
means).

The only problem with this stuff is that it isnt part of VTK itself.

It would be wonderful if a PostScript export class based on GL2PS
could eventually become part of VTK. :)

Hope this helps,
prabhu