[vtkusers] How to improve the quality of rendered lines?

Eric Sokolowsky esok at cosimo.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri May 25 12:13:54 EDT 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Pearu Peterson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Mayavi to visualize VTK files and I have noticed  that when
> saving a scene to a TIFF file, the quality of lines (and text) is too poor
> for printing on the paper.
>
> >From previous messages I see that RenderMan is suggested for getting
> better quality of exported scenes. Does it apply also for scenes that
> contain mostly lines, and only few plane slices?
>
> I know that vector graphics is better suited for this (but don't know if
> there is similar software, as VTK, available).
> But still, is there a way to improve such an output in VTK so that it will
> look good also on paper, not just on a screen?

I am working on a postscript renderer class, derived from the OpenGL
Renderer class.  As soon as I have done more work on it I will post to
this mailing list.  (I was unable to find such a class on the internet, so
if someone knows of something please let me know.)  It is based on some
code (I think was written by Mark Kilgard) that uses OpenGL Feedback mode
to render the geometry and then produces an Encapsulated Postscript (EPS)
file.  This preserves the high-resolution rendering.

--
   ____   __    Eric Sokolowsky            NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
  / __/__/_/__  Visualization Programmer   Scientific Visualization Studio