[vtkusers] Re: Some question of the using of vtkWin32VideoSource

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Mon May 21 13:14:33 EDT 2001

Hi Zhang,

The problem is that while the 'for' loop is running, Windows is unable
to process events.  This is not a problem with e.g. the
vtkMILVideoSource because the MIL interface is multi-threaded, but
unfortunately Video for Windows relies on Windows event handling to
process the callbacks.

The only solution is for you write a program that does proper event
handling.  If you call Grab from somewhere within your main WNDPROC
message handler, then Video for Windows won't be blocked.
Does anyone out there who has used vtkWin32VideoSource have a simple
example of this?  I don't do much applications-level programming
in C++ myself.

Another solution is to write your program in tcl or python/Tkinter
and to only do the grabs after you have started the 'mainloop'.
See 'video.tcl' for an example.

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group