[vtkusers] wxWindows + VTK flickering issue - some clarifications.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Tue May 15 12:15:39 EDT 2001

hi,

I am sending this mail to all of you because my archive of messages
tells me that at some point of time or the other you folks had some
problem or the other with flickering when using wxWindows/wxPython and
VTK.  Some of you may receive two copies of this (one from the VTK
list and one directly), my apologies.

Basically, about a month or two back I tracked (hacked?) this flicker
problem down and added a method to vtkWindow.h called SetParentInfo.
Once I used SetParentInfo instead of SetWindowInfo, the flicker
problem disappeared.  I also rewrote the wxVTKRenderWidget and fixed
all the problems with it (I still havent submitted it to Robin Dunn).

At the time I had the flickering problem I was using Xfree86 4.0 and
the nVidia drivers for my TNT2 card.  A week back I upgraded to
Xfree86 4.0.2.  Recently while talking to Les Schaffer he told me that
there was no flicker on his linux box.  This surprised me quite a bit
because he was using the stock wxPython wxVTKRenderWindow widget.  I
then tried the original demo again and it worked fine.  This leads me
to suspect that the original flicker problem happened due to some
wierd bug in X that was resolved in between X 4.0 and 4.0.2.  It could
also be an nVidia card driver problem.

I need clarification from you folks as to what version of Xfree86 you
were using when you had the flicker problem, and also to let me know
if upgrading X solved the problem.  I need to know this in order to
finish a rewrite of the wxVTKRenderWindow code and send it to Robin
Dunn.

Thanks.

regards,
prabhu