[vtkusers] plot3d binary format (old question ?)

David D. Marshall gte552m at prism.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 28 12:22:27 EST 2001

What we did was use the plot3d reader as an example implementation for our
own reader that could swap bytes, handle single/double precission, etc. We
needed a lot more flexibility when reading the data files in and converting
the data to other flow properties (i.e. needing thermally perfect gas model,
curve fit property models).  I don't know of an automatic way of determining
the endianess of the data file except by having the user set it :(, but once
you know that (and the endianess of the platform you're running on), then you
can use VTK's byte swapping code to do the swapping as needed.

--
David D. Marshall
ARTLab System Administrator/GRA
mailto:gte552m at prism.gatech.edu
The legitimate object of government is to do for a community
of people whatever they need to have done, but cannot do at all,
or cannot so well do, for themselves in their separate and
individual capacities.  -- Abraham Lincoln