[vtkusers] Mac OS X and VTK

Chris Scharver scharver at evl.uic.edu
Mon Mar 26 12:30:15 EST 2001

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Tom Bartol wrote:

> Several questions arise:
> What development/library environment is available on OS X?  gcc?  XFree86?

I've been doing a little tinkering on OS X.  CodeWarrior is available for
development, but I prefer gcc since it lets me use all my UNIX code with
fewer modifications.  The development tools use an environment called
Project Builder which provides an interface to gcc and debugging tools.

XFree86 has been ported to natively run on the BSD-based kernel, although
I haven't installed it yet.  The environment for native OS X windowing is
called Aqua, and a port of VTK should ideally create interface elements
there.  I'm not too familiar with its workings yet.  To make things easier
for me, I hope to move some of my graphics code to XFree86 first once I
finish getting everything installed.

-Chris

Chris Scharver                                       EECS Graduate Student
Electronic Visualization Laboratory                EVL Phone: 312-996-3002
The University of Illinois at Chicago                EVL FAX: 312-413-7585
1998-1999 UIC Men's Swimming and Diving