[vtkusers] Vtk, Python, compilation problems on Windows

Julian Humphries julian at essaustin.com
Sat Mar 17 20:48:27 EST 2001

At 10:32 PM 3/12/01 +0100, Sebastien BARRE wrote:
>At 12/03/2001 13:24, Julian Humphries wrote:
>
>>At any rate, does this mean that there is not a precompiled
>>version of vtk and python bindings that work with Python 2?
>
>That's it.  A choice had to be made I guess.
>
>Windows :
>          - Python 1.5.2 => Tcl 8.0.3
>          - Python 2.0 => Tcl 8.3.0
>           - VTK precompiled => Python 1.5.2
>           - VTK compiled from sources => choose either 1.5.2 or 2.0

Ok, I thought I could deal with that.  I decided to compile it myself,
despite having no recent C++ experience.  Downloaded the Borland compiler,
Got the 3.2 source, ran the  pcmaker.exe program, it asks if I want to build
Python, I do, I download Python 2.0 source, rerun pcmaker, it runs, I compile
vtk (mucho time),  but it is successful, go to the Python directory,  try
to make
that,  but the make file says:

### Not Implemented Yet

Argh!  Boy, this is tiring.  Is there a way to get the vtk-Python package
working on WIndows with Python 2.0?   In fact, all I really want to do is use
the patented classes with Python, any version, but as the precompiled versions
at Kitware don't include those.  I am looking for suggestions.  Does
anybody have
binaries for vtk and python with the patented classes included?  Python 2.0
support
would be a bonus, but even 1.5 would do at this point.

Many thanks, Julian Humphries
University of Texas

P.S.  Also, the link failed with the Borland turbo linker and the tcl build
(but
worked fine with the vtkdll.dll).  An error about an invalid flag, anyone
had success
with that combo?