[vtkusers] perl/tk with vtk : yes there is.

Sebastien BARRE seb-ml-vtk at barre.nom.fr
Sun Mar 11 15:04:35 EST 2001

At 12/03/2001 00:48, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:

>     Benoit> Hi I was recommended Perl/Tk to develop nice interfaces. I
>     Benoit> can see that vtk has been combined to Tcl/tk, Python but
>     Benoit> not Perl. Is there any particular reason for that? Is Perl
>     Benoit> recommended for use with vtk, or would Tcl just do the
>     Benoit> same job with the benefit of all the code and examples
>     Benoit> already available with vtk ?
>
>There arent any Perl bindings for VTK yet.  I dont know why.  I wont
>venture on speculations for fear of starting a language war here. :)

There are Perl bindings.
In september 2000, Roberto de Leo contacted me to talk about that topic. He
had succeeded in creating a set of Perl bindings for Unix. At that time, I
had not time or workstation to test them (sadly). His web page states that
he was unable to achieve the same result for Win32. In the meanwhile, he
sent me what seems to be Perl bindings for win32 (the link is not on his
web page).

Have a look at :
http://www.math.umd.edu/~rdl/PerlVTK/
http://www.math.umd.edu/~rdl/PerlVTK/PerlVTK-3.12Win32.tgz

Bare in mind that these bindings have not been created using the usual VTK
wrapping mechanism, thus they might not behave as expected by Tcl or Python
users. I do not even know if they are maintained anymore (Roberto is in CC:).

I do not know if there is a Perl guru at Kitware who would be able to
create a new wrapping module designed to output Perl, and I do not even
know if there is a need for that. Furthermore, there is no "unique" way to
do object-orientation in Perl. It has not been designed in that spirit.